Request for Fragrance Compound Concentration Data
RIFM Consumer Product Survey 2023
EXTENDED DEADLINE Completion Date: Now February 29, 2024
Exposure data are essential for completing a safety assessment for all human health endpoints. RIFM, with member company representatives, and Creme Global (a well-established partner to the industry in modeling exposure for cosmetics and foods, with methodologies that are used and accepted by regulators), developed a probabilistic aggregate exposure model to calculate total systemic exposure, with distributions used to model various parameters. This model enables the measurement of real-life consumer exposure to a fragrance material. A description of the model and its uses has been published in Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology. Please contact RIFM if you want copies of these papers or download them at the Fragrance Material Safety Resource Center. In addition, several webinars on the RIFM Creme Aggregate Exposure model are available in the News & Events section of the RIFM Website.
Two types of concentration data are needed in this model. One type is the concentration of the fragrance ingredient in the fragrance mixture. Only fragrance suppliers can respond to these concentration surveys because only they know the levels of fragrance ingredients in the fragrance mixture. RIFM has been surveying these data since 2013, and the current survey is Concentration Survey 043.
The other type of data is the concentration of fragrance mixture in the final product. These data can only be supplied by consumer product companies. This survey is the latter type. The survey is open to all consumer product companies. It was agreed that these data would be surveyed every 5-6 years to obtain data on products added to the model or to account for changes in marketing trends. The last survey was conducted in 2017.
- The first worksheet contains all the products in the model: cosmetics, personal care, air care, and household care products.
- The first worksheet in the file is the Excel spreadsheet is the document that must be used to complete the survey. The first row provides the list of consumer products. Please provide all the concentrations of fragrance mixtures used in these various product types for currently marketed products only. Please do not enter data for products that are not now in use. In addition, please include products with no fragrance compounds (enter a zero use for all products that do not contain fragrance compounds).
- The second worksheet contains the instructions for completing the survey. Of note:
- Additional product types, e.g., baby products, are included in this survey. See the “Definitions” sheet for full descriptions and the complete list.
- Suncare products are included in the product types; they are further categorized as “Sun care body” and “Sun care face.” These are defined as products explicitly used on the whole body for sunscreen protection; this does not include products containing sunscreen, e.g., a face cream with sunscreen protection or make-up with sunscreen protection.
- The third and last worksheet describes all the consumer products in this survey (and in the RIFM Creme Aggregate Exposure Model).
After completing the survey, each submitter must create a unique account (i.e., usernames and passwords) by completing this form: https://forms.gle/8K8Y59CZxp2cbeLL9. Then the final sheets should be submitted to the following:
All data will remain confidential and be entered into the model, but the data sources will not be available.
Please complete and return this survey by February 29, 2024.